Wednesday, March 18, 2009

some things just baffle the mind

Just let me start by saying if I offend you with this post than you might be a bit thin skinned.

How is it that people who are on a limited income and receiving food stamps among other benefits from our government can afford to buy cigarettes that are 5.60 a pack? For that price they could buy a loaf of bread, peanut butter, a couple bananas and maybe even toilet paper. Ok now we're talking generic brands but you get the picture.
I have a neighbor who is always at my door borrowing (her way of saying can I have it and never return it?) things. In the last two weeks heres the list:
toilet paper, computer paper, sugar, bandaids, ice, soda (wtf?), a pencil, crayons, and flour. I dont think they ever go to the store and actually do real shopping. I know youre thinking they must be broke and cant afford to but the husband smokes a pack a day (lets just call it 5.00 a pack x 7 days) and has a race car he is fixing up. Can we say messed up priorities?

2 comments:

  1. This is really funny, cause I thought the SAME exact thing a few weeks ago. Oh, wow--we have had (wanted) to help two different families with essentials simply because of their kids involved--AND! BOTH Families are HUGE smokers. I sorta shrugged my shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't get me started Kim ;)

    ReplyDelete